Saturday, July 18, 2009

I hate Glinda

I've never been particullary fond of The Wizard of Oz. The flying monkeys didn't scare me, even though I questioned their fashion sense (Why dress like bell hops?), they seemed kind of cool. The Wicked Witch seemed ok, she just wanted her sister's shoes back from the girl who killed her. I hated the way the movie dismissed Dorothy killing the Witch of the East. Even Gregory Maquire wrote both slayings as accidents. Okay, so I'm rambling, but the point I'm trying to make is that I don't like the Wizard of Oz. Not the movie and not the books.

I especially loathe Glinda. Maybe it's because I was never particularly girly or into frilly things. Maybe it was the blonde curls (I have blonde hair when I don't dye it, but much to my mother's frustration, I could never hold a curl) or the garish makeup. Maybe it's because she was portrayed as the Good Witch even though we have no proof of her goodness other than the Munchkins like her and she knows the way to the Wizard. She is still referred to as a Good Witch even though she sent Dorothy on an extremely dangerous journey that was completely useless. She robbed the so called Wicked Witch of her sister's shoes and who knows what she does with those Munchkins when the cameras are off.

I probably had a point when I started this post, but I have no idea what it might be besides I hate Glinda

No comments:

Post a Comment